Saturday, September 14, 2013

Things Are Happening


Hello folks,
  
The age when we dressed him up in dresses,
though there conveniently aren't any
pictures of that.
Kevin and his mom, 1991
          True to the title of this post, things are happening. It’s hard to believe that less than three weeks ago, I sat in my car in the parking lot of the grocery store, trying to process the news my mother told me: Hepatosplenic T-cell Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Most prognoses—eight months. No health insurance.
            Fortunately, Kevin has you, friends, family, and kind Internet followers here in the states and abroad. I pray that you still think about Kevin, that you don’t forget what he’s going through. And I pray, ultimately, that things get easier.
Kevin started chemo two weeks ago, on Thursday, and from what I’ve heard from friends and family, took it like a champ. He’s been tired and he’s not talking on the phone, but that’s to be expected, right? However, his lack of insurance is still an issue. The doctors almost did not let him go home to his family, because he could not afford to buy the necessary medications to live at home with his family, and was faced with the option of staying in the hospital and accruing more debt. Fortunately, his mother was able to help him this month, and went to fill his $800 prescription. Upon receiving her total, the cashier announced, “That’ll be $300.” Confused, my aunt asked if she was mistaken, and the cashier replied, “It’s been…discounted.”
Kevin's senior portrait
I don’t know if the medicine he needed was randomly on sale (do medicines go on sale?) or if some kind stranger contributed to this discount. Either way, I’m thankful, and my family is too. It’s these little things that I ask we band together for. It is a true blessing that Kevin qualifies for Maine Care, a state-sponsored medical relief fund. It hasn’t kicked in yet, but this program will assist with medical bills. However, travel and I believe medication are still up to him. Kevin will need to travel regularly to Boston, to go to a special cancer center to receive treatment. His mother would love to go with him. Plane tickets from Maine to Boston usually run about $350-$400. I feel like this, along with chipping in toward his monthly medications is an attainable goal.
I also want to take a moment to thank Kevin’s workplace, Tobey’s Grocery. They have been doing everything in their power to make Kevin’s life easier. They’ve funded a few medical procedures so far, and are selling awareness ribbons in the store to raise more funds. I am thankful for these kind-hearted people.
The past two weeks have been a roller coaster. I’ve applied to open a deposit only account for donations, and was approved by the bank. The account should be open in the next few days, and I’ll post a link when that happens.
Always positive, even through chemo.
My goal for a 5K, however, is a little more complicated. I’ve been struggling to find a location that is willing to host the event without wanting to make a profit off of our fundraiser. Though this is disheartening, I still want to push forward and do something. This may manifest in a different way, but I have confidence that God will provide an avenue to help.
Most of all, I thank everyone who’s had a part in praying or encouraging Kevin along this journey. My family is comforted by everyone’s support and willingness to help, and we hope this genuine love and kindness continues as Kevin moves forward.

All the best,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment